Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Every once in a while

When I talk about my kids.
When I share about the support of my wife.
When I talk about the meaning of my friendship with my buddy Troy.
I cry.

And when I speak these things in front of my church, well I cry then too.

I cried Sunday as I watched a guy named Marty stand at the altar and worship God with his hands raised.  I cried Sunday as I shared with the church the heaviness I feel in ministry and the inadequacy that exists in me.
I cried Sunday when my wife stood next to me and squeezed my hand in support and love.

I am not the "weeping pastor" but when I cry, you know it.  It's not just some misty eyed moment.  It's drippy. 

I value my wife, my kids, my friend and my church.  They are to me the Aaron and Hur as I feel, on a small scale, the weight and role of Moses.  I believe God is leading our church in ways like I've not noticed in the past 5 years.  There is a good land (even a promised one) ahead of us.  But man, it's a struggle.

We go together.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I praise God more than you will ever know, regarding you and your family. Though I have not been able to be with you physically, in your church family for some years, I want you to know that I simply LOVE that weeping pastor and his wife! My family weeps with yours, unabashidly, and communaly!

As we praise Him together through all things here. . .

Unknown said...

Dear Peter,
I wish I could take yours and Sarah's pain away. I know I can't, but I can stand with you in prayer, continually asking God to give you all you need in this day . . . each hour . . . each moment. You do not walk this journey alone. I will not grow weary praying for you, Sarah, William and Kate. I know our God is big enough, merciful enough, faithful enough, loving enough to carry you through your pain.

Unknown said...

the office comment above is from me, Lisa Kirkes