Thursday, July 10, 2008

Enough?

It's a funny thing, discouragement. It hits at the wierdest times and in the most unexpected ways. For me, as it may be for others, it comes down to the "enoughs" of life.

  • Did I do enough?
  • How come they didn't give enough?
  • The board said "yes", but did they say yes enough?
  • Were enough people at church?
  • Will there be enough volunteers?
  • How will we be effective enough?
  • Did I call enough people?
  • Do people feel loved enough?
  • Did I work hard enough?
  • _____________________________? (fill in your own)

And check it out--it's all centered on performance. But does God want my performance or does he simply want me? He wants me to want Him. He wants me to love Him. He wants me to know Him. Seems to me that Jesus was like this with Mary & Martha--one who was doing and one who was being.

Oswald Chambers makes a distinction between active work and spiritual activity in today's (July 10) entry of My Utmost for His Highest. He writes, "Simple active work and spiritual activity are not the same thing. Active work can actually be the counterfeit of spiritual activity." Trying to do enough is counterfeit spirituality. (I think this is along the lines of what Thomas Merton calls the "false self".)

In a performance driven society it is difficult not to be performance driven our spiritual lives. It is just as difficult to rightly handle performance in our corporate (church fellowship) lives. But it seems necessary. Sure, we have to guage what's going on spiritually, corporately, etc..., but the questions that center on the "enoughs" are just about enough to take one down and lay them out. Tread carefully.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, do I ever hear you! This has been THE constant stuggle in my life in Christ. The pressure from without can almost "cave us in", can't it. But Jesus is greater than all that as we keep turning to Him with our "Help me, Lord" prayer.
Love,
You know who